Summary of the role
This full-time post is available immediately on a permanent basis.
Please ensure you read the Job Description and Person Specification available on our website.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a dynamic, forward thinking, IT department. This is a technical role, focused on ensuring the smooth running of the IT servers and storage. The successful candidate will be managing multiple concurrent tasks with varying technologies.
The role will involve:
- Assist with managing physical/virtual servers and storage infrastructure to ensure all systems function as required and meet the targeted Service Level Agreements.
- Supporting IT Development processes in the provision of new services.
- Undertaking proactive monitoring and analysis, resolving problems and escalating as appropriate.
- Capacity management.
Key technical skills:
- Good experience in a technical support and implementation role, with experience providing 3rd level support in a similar field.
- Experience in technical support encompassing varying hardware and software platforms.
- Windows/Linux OS maintenance, including software rollout procedures, Web administration, Active Directory Security, Group Policy configuration, Antivirus setup and management, Backup software setup and management.
- Exposure to web technologies.
- Experience of providing helpdesk style technical support to internal and/or external users.
- Exposure to VMWare ESX
- IaaS such as Azure or AWS
The University of Exeter
We are a member of the prestigious Russell Group of research-intensive universities and in the top 150 universities in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019). We combine world-class teaching with world-class research, achieving a Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework Award 2017.
Our research income in recent years means we’re fastest growing UK Research University and we seek to answer some of the most fundamental issues facing humankind today through this. 98% of our research is international quality (2014 Research Excellence Framework) and we encourage proactive engagement with industry, business and community partners to enhance the impact of research and education and improve the employability of our students. Exeter is one of only a few UK cities to have been designated as a UNESCO Creative City.
With over 22,000 students and 5,500 staff from 180 different countries we offer a diverse and engaging environment in which to work. We are an equal opportunity employer, a Disability Confident employer and an Athena Swan accredited institution. Whilst all applicants will be judged on merit alone, we particularly welcome applications from groups currently underrepresented in the workforce.
We offer some fantastic benefits including:
- 41 days leave per year
- options for flexible working
- numerous discounts at leading retailers
- onsite gyms on all of our campus’ and a cycle to work scheme
- sector leading policies around maternity, adoption and shared parental leave (up to 26 weeks full pay), paternity leave (up to six weeks full pay) and a new Fertility Treatment Policystunning campus environments in Exeter and Cornwall, in the beautiful South West of England